- I don't live in Queensland. Can I enter the Queensland Music Awards?
No - only artists residing in Queensland are eligible to enter. However, in the case of songwriting teams/bands, more than 50% of the team must be based in Queensland.
- How many songs can I enter?
You can enter as many songs as you like across the different genre categories. However, a maximum of three songs only may be entered in the same genre category.
- Can I enter the same song in different categories?
Yes. An individual song may be entered into multiple categories but it will incur an entry fee for each category. Also, only one song from each entrant may become a finalist in any one category. The same song may not appear as a finalist in multiple categories (with the exception of the regional, indigenous and Song of the Year categories, which are drawn from other categories).
- What are the categories that I can enter my songs into?
- Schools (grades 6 - 12)
- World / Folk
- Blues / Roots
- Soul / Funk / R’n’B
- Hip-Hop / Rap
- Electronic / Dance
- Singer Songwriter
- I've co-written a song with a songwriter who is not based in Queensland. Can I enter this track?
You may enter a track that is co-written by a songwriter not based in Queensland, on the condition that the song writing can be attributed to not less than 50% to the Queensland songwriter/s.
In the case of a Video entry, the filmmaker only must be Queensland based.
- I’m a Queensland filmmaker but I work with interstate artists. Can I still enter my videos?
Yes you can. For this category the filmmaker is the entrant and must be Queensland based.
- I don’t know which category best suits my song. Can you choose for me?
No, we can’t help you make that decision so please choose your category carefully.
- I want to enter songs I have written into the Queensland Music Awards but I can't sing. Can I get someone else to sing/perform them?
Yes, you can.
- Is there an age limit?
No, there is no age limit except for the school category which is Grades 6 – 12.
- Can I enter lyrics only?
No. We currently do not have a lyric only category.
- Can I enter instrumental songs?
Yes, you can enter instrumental songs in all categories. Please type Instrumental in the lyrics text box.
- How do I know who owns the rights to my song/s?
If you are a songwriter and haven’t signed a deal with a music publishing company (publishing) or record label (master) you are the rights holder of your song/s. Therefore, you should enter your own name where indicated on the entry form. Otherwise you must provide the details of the relevant rights holder (only if you grant streaming permission for your song through the QMA website).
In the case of video entries, by entering a video hosted on a public platform such as Youtube or Vimeo into the Queensland Music Awards you acknowledge that all rights holder permissions have been granted.
QMusic takes no responsibility for any copyright violations.
- Who judges the songs?
A panel of national and international music industry professionals will assess the entries according to categories. The decision of the judging panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into. QMusic management committee and staff play no role in song/songwriter nominations or the selection of winners in any category (with the exception of the Grant McLennan Lifetime Achievement Award).
- How are songs/videos judged?
The songs in the genre categories are NOT judged on production values. Each song is judged on: Lyricism and musicality; innovation and creativity; and commercial potential. In the case of video entries, judging is based on originality of concept, technical execution and visual appeal.
- How are the highest selling awards judged?
The highest-selling single and highest-selling album categories are designed to celebrate the commercial success of Queenslanders in Australia and overseas. These are the only two categories that non-residents are eligible for, however they are based on sales and therefore nominations are not invited.
- How do the People’s Choice Awards categories work?
Nominees for the following publicly voted categories will be chosen by music industry professionals: Most Popular Male, Most Popular Female, Most Popular Group, Festival of the Year and Live Music Venue of the Year (Brisbane Metro and Regional). Two finalists per category will be selected by popular vote via online voting with the winners announced in May 2018.
- Music Venue of the Year - the shortlist is nominated by the pool of Queensland QMA judges. Eligible venues have a capacity of 100 - 1500 and enable the performance of original music. A Metro Venue is designated as located within the City Of Brisbane. A Regional Venue is designed as located outside The City of Brisbane. The winner will be judged by public vote.
- Festival of the Year - the shortlist is nominated by a pool of Queensland-based QMA Judges. To be eligible, festivals must cater to original live music of any genre and have a capacity of 1000 and over. Nominations are exclusive to homegrown festivals and exclude national festivals such as Groovin’ The Moo and Laneway Festival. The winner will be judged by public vote.
- Why do I have to pay an entry fee?
QMusic is a not-for-profit organization and we are not funded by government to stage this event. We rely on sponsorship and entry fees to allow us to run the Queensland Music Awards and grow it each year to give recognition to our best songwriters and artists. Your entry fee contributes to the whole process.
- How much does it cost to enter the Queensland Music Awards?
QMusic Adult Member
The above prices include GST.
- How can I join QMusic so that I pay less to enter the Queensland Music Awards?
It's easy. You can join on line through the QMusic website.
- When is the closing date for entries?
The closing date is midnight 21 January 2018.
- Can I get feedback on my song/s?
QMusic is currently not able to offer a feedback service for The Queensland Music Awards.
- How many finalists will be chosen in each category?
There are four finalists in each category.
- How do I get considered for Album of the Year?
This category will be nominated by music industry professionals. Full length albums released between November 2016 and December 2017 are eligible for this category. QMusic obtains lists from both major and independent labels of releases by Queensland artists during that period for consideration.
The Album of the Year is judged on production, songwriting and commercial success.
- How do I get considered for Song of the Year?
Only the winners of the genre categories are eligible for Song of the Year. A panel of music industry professionals will decide a winner, using the same criteria used to judge the genre categories.
- When are the finalists notified?
All finalists will be notified via email in early April 2018.
- When will the finalists be publicly announced?
Finalists will be announced in early April on the Queensland Music Awards website.
- When are the winners announced?
Most of the winners will be announced at the Queensland Music Awards in May 2018. Due to venue restrictions, winners of some of the categories may be announced at a pre-award ceremony.
- How can I attend the Queensland Music Awards?
Tickets will be available for purchase through the QMA website in early April 2018 when the finalists are announced.
- How many tickets to the Queensland Music Awards can I get if my song is in the top four of its category?
ONE free ticket is allocated per song/per category. Note: Finalists wishing to be seated with family and friends must organise their free ticket/s and purchased tickets in one transaction.
- What do I get if I win?
A package of promotional activities that will be undertaken on behalf of the winning artists which will include, but not be limited to:
- Presentation of an Award trophy at the annual Queensland Music Awards
- Profiling on the Queensland Music Awards website and playlists
- National media release inclusion and interview opportunities
All further enquiries contact QMusic:
Phone: (07) 3257 0013 or email email@example.com