1. The Queensland Music Awards are open to all artists who are residents of Queensland. In the case of songwriting teams/bands, not less than 50% of the team must be based in Queensland. You are a resident of Queensland if you spend a minimum of 75% of the year living in Queensland at a residential address.
- If an artist has moved away recently, they are eligible to enter the QMAs as long as they were living in Queensland for six (6) months immediately prior to and during the making of their submitted music/live activity.
- If an artist has relocated to Queensland and now lives in Queensland during the release period (previous 12 months) of the song and album they will qualify.
- The judges’ decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
2. Songs must be the original work of the entrant and not infringe on any copyrights. QMusic takes no responsibility for any copyright violations.
3. Entries must not compromise QMusic's obligations to its principal sponsors for the event.
4. Genre Categories that can be entered are:
- Schools (grades 6 - 12)
- Singer Songwriter / Folk
- Blues / Roots
- Soul / Funk / R’n’B
- Hip-Hop / Rap
- Electronic / Dance
- Video (for filmmakers only)
5. Artists can only submit songs within TWO categories with a maximum of THREE songs in the same genre category.
6. The same song may be entered into different genre categories. However:
- Only one song from each entrant may become a finalist in any one category (with the exception of the Regional, Remote and Indigenous categories, which are drawn from other categories).
- The same song may not appear as a finalist in multiple categories (with the exception of the Regional, Remote and Indigenous categories, which are drawn from other categories).
7. Video Category
- This category is only open to Queensland based filmmakers. In the case of filmmaker teams, 100% of the team must be based in Queensland.
- However, the song/s and artist/bands performing the song/s need not be residents of Queensland.
- You will need to provide a public link to your video/s on platforms such as YouTube or Vimeo.
- By entering a video hosted on a public platform such as YouTube or Vimeo into the Queensland Music Awards you acknowledge that all rights holder permissions have been granted. QMusic takes no responsibility for any copyright violations.
8. Additional Categories:
If applicable, your song/s will be automatically entered into these categories as a BONUS entry:
- The Indigenous Category is open to the artists who have identified themselves as Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander songwriters during the entry process. All Indigenous entries will be automatically entered into this category.
- The Regional Category is open to all songwriters residing in regional Queensland, as determined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics Regional Boundaries and set out in the Queensland Music Awards Regional and Remote Postcode Boundaries. All finalist regional songwriters will automatically be entered into this category.
- The Remote Category is open to all songwriters residing in remote Queensland, as determined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics Remote Boundaries and set out in the Queensland Music Awards Regional and Remote Postcode Boundaries. All finalist remote songwriters will automatically be entered into this category.
9. Instrumental music may be entered into all categories but must be clearly indicated by typing “Instrumental” in the lyrics text box.
10. The Grant McLennan Lifetime Achievement Award
- Nominations will be taken from a panel of music industry professionals. Nominees will come from across the full spectrum of the Queensland music industry. The QMusic management committee will make the final decision on the winner.
11. The Emerging Artist Of The Year Award
- Artists with up to five years professional songwriting experience and with a modest body of artistic work will be automatically eligible for the Major Award on submission to a self-nominating category.
- The artist may not have previously been a finalist in any QMA Awards categories.
- The state of an emerging artists will be decided at the discretion of the judging panel. Their decision is final.
12. The Song of the Year Award
- The Song of the Year is selected from the winners of each genre category by the judging panel.
13. Album of The Year Award
- This category will be nominated by music industry professionals. Full length albums released between 1 December 2018 and 30 November 2019 are eligible for this category. QMusic obtains lists from both major and independent labels of releases by Queensland artists during that period for consideration.
14. Export Achievement Award
- This category will be independently judged and awarded by Sounds Australia. Sounds Australia is Australia’s export music market development initiative, established to provide a cohesive and strategic platform to assist the Australian music industry access international business opportunities.
- The winner of this award will be deemed to be the Queensland artist(s) with the most significant achievements in international deals/sales for music sync, touring, showcasing, licensing, publishing, digital or physical between 1 December 2018 and 30 November 2019.
15. Highest Selling Album and Highest Selling Single
- The Highest Selling categories recognise the commercial success of Queensland artists, including those now based overseas. The album and song with the highest number of combined physical and digital sales will be judged the winner of these categories. The Album and Single must have been released between 1 December 2018 and 30 November 2019.
- For songs and albums to be eligible in these categories, their songwriters must have been residents of Queensland at some point during the last 5 years, and have started the development of their career in Queensland. However, they do not have to currently be residents of Queensland.
- These songwriters must also have co-written at least 50% of the song or album.
16. HOW TO ENTER
- All entries must be via the online entry form on the Queensland Music Awards website.
- Each song must be submitted with its lyrics (unless instrumental)
- Songs sung in languages other than English must have an English translation
- Ensure all songwriters of each song entered are correctly listed in full
- An individual song may be entered into multiple categories but it will incur an award entry fee for each category
- Award fees must be made at the time of entering and is non-refundable
Cost of Entry
QMusic Adult Members
The above prices include GST.
17. The closing date for entries is midnight Thursday 31 October 2019.
18. Four finalists will be chosen in each category. The finalists will be notified via email in January 2020.
19. Only one song per artist will be selected to be a finalist in any one category.
20. Judges may reallocate an entry to a different category.
21. The same song may not appear as a finalist in multiple categories (with the exclusion of Regional, Remote, Indigenous and Song Of The Year, which are pooled from existing categories).
22. Judges have the right to determine the standard of an Award and to withhold an Award in any category if, in their view, entries are not of sufficient merit.
23. The judges' decisions are final, and no judge will enter into conversation or correspondence about decisions that have been made.
24. The winner of each category will be announced at the Awards ceremony to take place on Tuesday 3 March 2020. There will be no prior disclosure.
25. All category winners agree to have their winning entry included on various websites. The Queensland Music Awards creates huge promotional opportunities for finalists and winners. QMusic will notify you of these opportunities as they arise.
26. All category winners agree to grant QMusic the non-exclusive right, free of charge, to make entered songs available for streaming, together with winner’s name and approved images, by members of the public on a non-commercial basis for the purpose of promoting QMusic and the Queensland Music Awards event.
27. If you agree to have your song/s available for streaming by ticking the Yes box at the time of entry, your song/s may be chosen randomly to be added to a music player on the Queensland Music Awards website. Your song/s will NOT be available for download.
28. If you agree to have your song/s available for streaming by ticking the Yes box at the time of entry, you must provide the rights holder details. If you are a songwriter and haven’t signed a deal with a music publishing company (publishing) or record label (master) you are the rights holder. Therefore, you should enter your own name.
- QMusic takes no responsibility for any copyright violations.
29. Finalists will receive ONE complimentary ticket per finalist song to the awards night.
30. The genre awards at the Queensland Music Awards are a songwriting competition. Therefore, the songwriters will be credited as the finalists/winners. In the case of all members of a band being the songwriters, the band name will be credited as the finalists/winners. Please list all songwriters accurately and in full.
31. Winners will be announced at the Queensland Music Awards on 3 March, 2020 in Brisbane.
32. The package of promotional activities that will be undertaken on behalf of the winning artists will include, but not be limited to:
- Presentation of an Award trophy at the annual Queensland Music Awards
- Profiling on the Queensland Music Awards website and playlists
- National media release inclusion and interview opportunities.
33. Prizes given for Song Of The Year and Emerging Artist Of The Year are valid between Tuesday 3 March 2020 and Wednesday 3 March 2021 and will expire after this time period has ended.
34. Recipients of Song Of The Year and Emerging Artist Of The Year prizes will need to report outcomes from these prize opportunities to QMusic by the end of the prize period on Wednesday 3 March 2021.
35. Emerging Artist Of The Year Prize Package
- The Prize includes return airfares from any part of Queensland for the Amplify Songwriting Retreat.
- One-on-one meetings will occur throughout the duration of the Amplify Songwriting Retreat. Any issues regarding meeting with the booking agent, manager or publicist during this specific time period will be handled case by case.
- The Prize recipient is required to provide photos, copy and a testimonial for us to share in real time on social media, electronic direct mail (eDM), and the QMusic and Queensland Music Awards websites.
- The Prize is not transferable, exchangeable, replaceable or refundable for cash or credit and can only be used as specified.
36. QMusic staff and Management Committee are NOT eligible to enter the Competition.
37. Winning songs from previous years are NOT eligible to be re-entered.
38. By accepting the Terms and Conditions during the entry process, the entrant agrees to accept the QMA rules and conditions.
Phone: (07) 3257 0013 or email firstname.lastname@example.org